Thursday, June 17, 2010

30 Nights of Salad



In an effort to eat healthier and mix up our routine - Spaghetti night was waaaay too familiar around here! - and also drop a few pounds hopefully, we've challenged ourselves to 30 nights of Salad. Salad every night for dinner - for 30 days. Sounds crazy? It is. Is it do-able? I think so. We've gotten the first two nights off without a hitch and we're having fun so far. For our daughter, I just cook a pot of rice (to which I add the meat from the salad and lettuce & tomatoes) or let her eat leftover lunch. The first night, I was NOT in the mood to cook or chop or anything, but we forged ahead and had a basic chicken salad which included:

Basic Chicken Salad
-Romaine, chopped
-Tomatoes, thinly sliced
-Avocado, sliced
-cooked chicken breast, chopped
-cooked onions

**I added cranberries and crispy onions to mine
**I used Raspberry vinaigrette dressing

Yummy and a really great first try!

So, the next night - Last night - we really got down and created this amazing Chicken & Corn Salad (see picture above! Yum!)

Chicken & Corn Salad
-Green leaf lettuce, chopped
-Scallions, chopped
-Red & Orange bell pepper, thinly sliced
-Chicken breast cooked in 1 tablespoon of olive oil - with chopped onions
-Onions, see above
-Avocado, chopped
-Cooked corn*


*I used one can of corn kernels, cooked it in the same pan that had the chicken and added pepper, garlic powder, and a bit of sugar. FANTASTIC!!!!

I didn't use any dressing on mine, but Rob used some of that Raspberry and he said the dressing didn't quite go, but all was delish nonetheless. I implore you - make this Salad! You will not be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment