Sunday, August 1, 2010

Stuffed Peppers


Such a wonderful treat and every time I make this I always wonder why I don't make it more often. Stuffed anything sounds really good - stuffed meatballs, stuffed pizza, Calzones, Jelly doughnuts - hello?! delish! Stuffed peppers are no exception and so darn easy you can basically do everything in one pot and wash that while your peppers are in the oven cooking! I always leave the pepper whole when I do this, but hubby suggested cutting them in half - he says that this style is quite popular. So next time I will try that.

Stuffed peppers
-6-8 large green peppers (look for bottoms that will stand in a baking dish)
-2 cups cooked cooled rice
-1LB ground turkey, seasoned
-1 med/large onion diced
-1-2 cloves garlic, smashed and diced
-Approx 2 cups tomato sauce
-8oz Mozzarella, grated
***Cook rice first while you prep. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut (and keep) tops off of peppers and wash them out, removing any seeds. If they don't stand upright you can cut them in half down the middle or slice the bottoms to make them even. Dice the onions and the garlic. Use any flesh from the tops of the green peppers and dice it. Add onions, garlic and diced pepper to a large saucepan with a tablespoon of olive oil. Season with a little salt and pepper and some italian seasoning if you have it. Let soften for about 5 minutes and add ground turkey. Cook while stirring and breaking apart the meat frequently. Once meat is cooked through, add rice. Feel free to leave some rice aside if you prefer your stuffing to be more meaty. Add sauce. I used a 50/50 mix of canned tomato sauce, and spaghetti sauce. I also take this opportunity to add more seasoning if needed. Some people like to blanch or put their peppers into boiling water for a moment to aid in the cooking process. I do not. I stuff the peppers, top with grated cheese and fill my baking dish halfway with water. I cover the peppers with foil for approximately 30 minutes and take the foil off for 10 minutes. Once you take your peppers out, let them sit for awhile, 10-15 minutes. The juices settle and it tastes amazing!

2 comments:

  1. Looks amazing. I always make stuffed peppers with ground turkey or tempeh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summer has finally come to Scotland and I see a stuffed pepper recipe on the menu soon. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete